Westwood Park, Worcestershire Family History Guide



Status: Extra-parochial

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: see surrounding parishes
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: see surrounding parishes

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Westwood Park

  • Droitwich St Nicholas
  • Salwarpe
  • Ombersley
  • Hampton Lovett
  • Doverdale

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WESTWOOD PARK, an extra-parochial tract in Droitwich district, Worcester; 3 miles WNW of Droitwich. Acres, 1,380. Pop., 22. Houses, 4. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in the time of Richard II.; became a cell to Fontevrault abbey in France; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Packingtons. W. P. House was built in 1590, and is now the seat of the Right Hon. Sir J. S. Packington, Bart. The “Sir Roger de Coverley” of Addison was Sir Herbert Packington; and the writer of the “Whole Duty of Man,” jointly with Bishop Fell, was a Lady Packington.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Westwood Billings Directory 1855

Westwood is situated about a mile and a quarter N.W. from Droitwich, adjoining the parish of Hampton Lovett, and is an extra-parochial manor, containing, in 1851, a population of 10 inhabitants.

Westwood is the seat of the ancient family of Pakington, and was granted, with its revenues, to Sir John Pakington by Henry VIII. The mansion was burnt down during the civil wars, and the central portion of the present building was formerly the lodge. The family then added four wings to it, and made it their residence. There was a priory here, for six nuns, in the time of Henry II. The family of Pakington can be traced to the time of Henry II, and resided for some centuries in the county of Warwick. W. de Pakington was secretary to the Black Prince. The family first came into this county by the marriage of John Pakington with a daughter of the ancient family of Washbourne, of Stanford, in the time of Henry VI.

DIRECTORY

Pakington Sir John S., Bart., M.P. for Droitwich

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Administration

County: Worcestershire
Civil Registration District: Droitwich
Probate Court: Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
Diocese: Not Applicable
Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
Poor Law Union: Droitwich
Hundred: Halfshire
Province: Canterbury