Doverdale is a very small parish, situate about 5 ½ miles S.E. from Stourport, and contained in 1851 a population of 34 inhabitants, being 20 less than in 1841, and 38 less than in 1831.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of nave and chancel, with a wooden bell-turret. The windows are square-headed, with the exception of one or two, which are small, and bear the appearance of the Norman style, as also portions of an earlier structure. By an inscription bearing date 1832, the church appears to have undergone great improvement, in being re-pewed and panted, with a new pulpit, reading-desk, floor, &c. There is also a new chancel arch of stone, forming a great improvement, in the place of which was originally a heavy cross-beam. The chancel is laid with Minton’s encaustic tiles, the seats being open, with the fleur-de-lis finishing. In the chancel are two brasses, the one bearing date February 14, 1814, to the memory of Sarah, wife of the Rev. Thomas Oldham, Rector; the other, dated 1837, to the memory of the wife of the Rev. George Larden, another rector of the parish. There is also a mural tablet to the memory of the Rev. Thomas Oldham, Rector of Doverdale upwards of thirty-three years, who died in the year 1831. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Mrs. Curtler. Rev. Thomas Gale Curtler, B.A., Rector; Mr. William Davis, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Curtler Rev. Thomas Gale, B.A., Rector, Rectory
Gibbs William, farmer, Rectory Farm
Lamb Eliezer, miller, Doverdale Mill
Lench William, farmer, The Moat
Moss William, farmer, Stone House
Williams William, farmer, The Hill; also of Southall Farm
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855