Hinton on the Green Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Hinton on the Green is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1735
Parishes adjacent to Hinton on the Green
- Elmley Castle
- Aston Somerville
- Great and Little Hampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Hinton-on-the-Green, a village and a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester. The village stands on the river Isborne, near the boundary with Worcester, and near the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, 3¼ miles SSW of Evesham; has a station, of the name of Hinton, on the railway; was anciently known as Hynetune; and was once a market town. The parish comprises 2,259 acres. Post town, Evesham. Real property, £1,720. Pop., 192. Houses, 37. The property belonged formerly to Gloucester abbey, and belongs now to John A. B. Cresswell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200. Patron, J. A. B. Cresswell. The church is ancient; was restored in 1863; and has a central aisle and a fine tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Hinton-on-the-Green, a parish in Tibaldstone hund., union of Evesham, county of Gloucester; 7½ miles north-east by east of Tewkesbury, on the river Isborn. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd., and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £8 13s. 11½d.; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, A. J. C. Baker, Esq. Here is a daily school. Acres 2,030. Houses 34. A. P. £2,625. Pop., in 1801, 196; in 1831, 209. Poor rates, in 1838, £50.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Marriages at Hinton on the Green 1735 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The earliest volume of Registers now in the Parish Church commences in 1735. It is a parchment volume, 13 by 8 ¼ inches, containing 16 parchment leaves, and four others of paper. It is in good condition. The second volume is of paper, and has entries upon 12 pages. The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, M.A., Rector of Whitchurch, and are now printed under his supervision, with the consent of the Rev. C. A. Baker, M.A., Rector of Hinton.
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Hinton on the Green but who were married in another parish.
Will. Clarke, of Hinton, Glocr., & Mary Butler, of S. L., lic. 24 Apr. 1770 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Tibaldstone
- Province: Canterbury
- Polling District: Campden