Last Updated on

Hewelsfield is a chapelry of Lydney Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.

Alternative names: Huelsfield

Other places included in the parish: Brockweir

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1664

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hewelsfield

Historical Descriptions

Hewelsfield

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HEWELSFIELD, a parish in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; near the river Wye and the boundary with Monmouth, 2½ miles NW of Woollaston r. station, and 7 S of Coleford. Post town, St. Briave1s, under Coleford. Acres, 1,189. Real property, £2,050. Pop., 417. Houses, 89. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Henry Peel, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £131. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is of the 13th century; consists of nave, N transept, and chancel, with central dove cot tower; and has been admirably restored. ‘There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hewelsfield, a parish in St. Briavell’s hund., union of Chepstow, county of Gloucester; 6 miles north-north-east of Chepstow, pleasantly situated in a valley between the rivers Severn and Wye. Living, a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Lydney. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £123 8s. 2d. rectorial. Acres 1,580. Houses 104. A. P. £1,140. Pop., in 1801, 298; in 1831, 585. Poor rates, in 1838, £128 2s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Brockweir

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Brooks-Weir, or Brockware, a village in the parishes of St. Briavell’s, Huelsfield, and Wollastone, hund. of St. Briavell’s, county of Gloucester; 5 miles north of Chepstow, on the eastern bank of the Wye. It is a place of some trade and activity. Vessels belonging to Bristol ascend the river to this place, for the purpose of receiving goods brought from Hereford and Monmouth in barges on the Wye. The tide seldom flows to any considerable height above Brooks-Weir, except during spring-tides.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Chepstow
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Chepstow
  • Hundred: St Briavels
  • Province: Canterbury