Edgeworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Edgworth
Parish registers begin: 1554
Parishes adjacent to Edgeworth
- Duntisbourne Rouse
- Duntisbourne Abbots
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Edgeworth, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near Ermine-street, 3 ½ miles NE of Brimscombe r. station, and 5 ½ NW of Cirencester. Post-town, Bisley, under Stroud. Acres, 1,566. Real property, £1,734. Pop., 139. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The surface is hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £321. Patron, C. Greville, Esq. The church has Norman traces, and is good. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Edgworth 1554 to 1812
Note. – Edgworth [sic] is a small parish near Cirencester and Bisley, most charmingly situated on a steep wooded slope above the valley of the Frome. The Church lies close to the Manor House, which still retains, as its central portion, the smaller country house of the Ridlers (built in 1685), whose names occur in the Register.
A complete copy of the old Register was made some years ago by the father of the present owner of the Manor. There occur some peculiar spellings, as “Vuster” for “Fewster”, “Weama” for “Weyman”, “Sascill” for “Saycell”, “Tento” for “Taynton”, and “Cieranciseter” for “Cirencester.”
Volume I contains Baptisms, 1556-1735; Marriages, 1555-1744; and Burials, 1557-1742. The entries are made on small parchment pages, the cover is gone, and the volume is now in three parts. There is the following general heading :- “The Regester Booke of Edgworth duely observed and kepte since the yeare of our Lode God acordinge to the compputation of the Churche of Englande 155.”2)
The Marriages are headed thus :- “The names of all those that have byne maryed at Edgworth here after foloweth since the yeare of our Lorde God according to the accompt of the Churche of England 1554.”
Volume II is a small parchment register in a cardboard cover, containing Baptisms, 1750-1764; Marriages, 1750-1753; and Burials, 1750-1769; followed by more Baptisms and Burials, 1769-1774.
Volume III is a large book in sheepskin cover, containing printed forms for 800 entries, only 41 of which were filled up with the entries 1754-1811. No Marriages are entered for 1812.
The names of the following Rectors occur :- Henry Hamand, 1635; Thomas Ridler, 1696; Edward Loggin Griffin, 1710; Samuel Ridler, 1734; and Anthony Freston, 1801. The benefice was probably held in plurality for nearly half a century, as the name of the Rev. William Wallbank occurs as Curate 1754-1770, and Rev. William Pitt 1774-1796.
The Marriage entries have been extracted by Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., and are printed with the sanction of the Rev. A. H. Veasey, Rector of Edgworth.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Bisley
- Province: Canterbury