Last Updated on
Filton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Fylton
Parish registers begin: 1654
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Filton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FILTON, or Fylton, a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and South Wales Union railway, 5 miles N of Bristol. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bristol. Acres, 1,030. Real property, £2,631. Pop., 317. Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Fyltons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £242. Patron, R. Poulden, Esq. The church, with the exception of the tower, was recently rebuilt; and the tower contains a stone coffin, which was discovered at the re-building. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Filton 1653-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury