Baunton is a parish and small village, 1 mile and a quarter north of Cirencester, bounded on the west by the river Churn, and the Roman fossway on the east. It is in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Cirencester union, county court district and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Bristol, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire. The population in 1861 was 122; the acreage is 1,336. The church of St. Christopher is a small building, consisting of a nave, without either tower or chancel, but has a belfry containing 2 bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £67, in the gift of the representatives of Lady Carteret, who are sole owners of the Parish. Here are infant schools. The incumbent is the Rev. George Masters. M.A. (non-resident). The soil is clayey, and the subsoil rock.
Parish Clerk, William Rook.
Butt Henry, farmer
Butt James, farmer
Greenway William, shopkeeper
Porter Thomas, farmer
Letters through Cirencester, which is the nearest money order office
Infant Schools, Mrs. Jane Barker, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.