Barnesley is a village and parish, in Brightwells Barrow hundred, eastern electoral division of the county, Cirencester union and county court district, rural deanery of Fairford, archdeaconry of Bristol, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, with a population in 1861 of 327, and an extent of 2,090 acres; it is situated on the turnpike road between Cirencester and Oxford through Burford, distant from Cirencester 4 miles north-east, 7 north-west from Fairford, and 13 from Burford. The church, said to have been dedicated in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an ancient stone building, the earliest parts of it in the transition Norman style; it has been restored throughout; it has a nave, chancel and vestry, north aisle, and a tower with 3 bells. The living is a rectory, annual value £320, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. Sir William Augustus Musgrave, Bart., M.A., and held by the Rev. George Ernest Howman, M.A. The soil is loam and clay; the subsoil, oolite. The Rev. Sir W. A. Musgrave, Bart., M.A., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Poult Moor Farm lies 1 mile east; Bibury, 3 miles north-east; and Ready Token, 2 south-east.
Parish Clerk, William Weaver.
Hatherall Mr. Abraham
Howman Rev. George Ernest, M.A
Habgood Thomas, Greyhound, & farmer & maltster
Miles Edmund, blacksmith
Norris William, shopkeeper
Radway George, farmer
Turk Charles, farmer
Weaver William, tailor
Whitehead William, wheelwright
Widdowson Joseph, shopkeeper
Williams Charles, shoemaker
Post Office.— William Weaver, receiver. Letters arc received from Cirencester at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cirencester.
Parish School, Elizabeth Hunt, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.