Bagendon Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863



Bagendon, or Badgington, is a parish and village, 3½ miles north from Cirencester, in Crowthorne hundred, Cirencester union, county court district and rural deanery, East Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Margaret is a stone building in the Norman style, with tower, which contains 2 bells; it has nave, chancel, one aisle, and gallery , in which is an organ; therc are several neat tablets in the chancel. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Jesus College, Oxford; the Rev. William Dyke, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford, is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 175, and the acreage 1,106. The soil is principally stone brash, and the subsoil limestone rock. The river Churn is one of the boundaries of the parish. The principal landowners are Edward Haines, Esq., J.P., of Moorwood House, who is lord of the manor, and Thomas Hinton, Esq.

Perrot’s Brook is a hamlet distant half a mile south.

Parish Clerk, William White.

Croome William Fielder, esq. D.L., J. P. Bagendon house

Dyke Rev. William, M.A. [rector]

Haines Edward, esq. J.P. Moorwood ho

Rolph Rev. Thomas, B.A. [curate of North Cerney], Trinity mill

Commercial.

Harrison Philip, carpenter & wheel wright, Perrot’s brook

Hayward Joseph, miller, Trinity mill

Hulbert George Neate, farmer, Manor house

Rouse Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper

Smith Giles, Bear, Perrot’s brook

Letters through Cirencester are delivered at 8 a.m. & cleared from a pillar letter box at 6.30 p.m. Cirencester is the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.