Aust is a tithing and village, 10 ½ miles north-west from Yate station, 28 south from Gloucester, 12 north from Bristol, and 122 from London, in Henbury township, parish and Hundred, Thornbury Union, West Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situate on the navigable river Severn, and on the high road from Sodbury to the Old Passage. The church is an old stone building, in the Gothic style, with nave, chancel, porch, square embattled tower with 4 bells, and a curious old font. The living is a curacy, attached to Henbury, in the gift of the vicar of Henbury; the Rev. H. L. M. Walters, M.A., is the incumbent. There is an Infant school. The old Roman passage of Augustus is in this parish – hence its name. there are traces of the fosse road to Cirencester. The cliff contains a rich bed of fossil bones and gypsum. The population, in 1851, was 213; and the acreage is 933. The soil is clay and loam; the subsoil is new red sandstone and blue lias. Robert C. Lippincott, Esq., is lord of the manor, and, with W. O. Maclaine, Esq., is chief landowner. There are charities of £1 10s. yearly value for bread on St. John’s day; also an endowment of £20 yearly towards the expenses of divine service.
Tanhouse is a farm; Cote Farm is a half a mile north.
Walters Rev. Henry L. M. Parsonage
Always John, farmer, Aust farm
Bennett William, farmer
Collins Amelia (Miss), shopkeeper
Cornock William, farmer, Tan ho. farm
Griffin Charles, butcher
Hicks William, blacksmith
Parrott Edward, farmer
Parrott William, farmer
Pendock William, jun. farmer
Pendock William, sen. farmer
Thurston Anselm, carpenter & wheelwrt.
Robertson Edward Oakley, ‘Old Boar’s Head’
York Geo., Old Passage hotel, & postmastr.
Post Office. – ‘Old Passage house,’ George York, postmaster. Letters arrive by mail coach from Bristol, at ½ past 10; dispatched 5 p.m.; second arrival, 6 p.m.; dispatched 12 next day. The nearest money order office is at Thornbury.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.