Aston Subedge Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Aston Subedge is a small village and parish, 2½ miles from Honeybourne station on the West Midland line of railway, 31 from Gloucester, 7 from Evesham, 1 mile and a half from Campden, and about 90 miles north-west from London, in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and union and county court district of Evesham. The church of St. Andrew is a small stone building, having a nave, aisle, and tower with 1 bell; the rector is the Rev. John Besly, D.C.L., vicar of Long Benton, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne; the curate is the Rev. S. F. Hiron, B.A., head master of Campden Grammar school. The population in 1861 was 128; the acreage of the parish is 702; rateable value, £1,200.

The Earl of Harrowby is the principal landowner. The soil is strong clay and loamy. The crops are wheat and beans.

Gardner Mr. Joseph


Coldicott William, farmer

Dyde Richard, blacksmith & shopkeepr

Gardner John, farmer & landowner

Roberts Henry, cattle dealer

Stanley Samuel, farmer

Letters are received through Broadway post office from Cheltenham. Campden is the nearest money order office.

Parochial School, Mrs. Lydia Barnett, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.