Aston Subedge Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Aston-sub-Edge is a village and parish in Evesham union, Worcestershire, containing by the census of 1861, 128, and in 1871, 136 inhabitants, with 702 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, Kiftsgate hundred, East Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles south-east from Honeybourne Station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway; 1 ½ south-west from Chipping Campden, 7 south-east from Evesham, 31 north-east from Gloucester, and 90 from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. R. F Watson, M.A., is valued at £275 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Earl of Harrowby. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported entirely by the Earl of Harrowby, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. This parish is noted for the productiveness of its cherry orchards. The rateable value of this parish is £1838.

Trades and Professions

Bates Henry, farmer and fruiterer

Coldicott William, farmer, Manor farm

Dyde Wm., blacksmith and shopkeeper

Gardner Joseph, farmer

Gardner William, fruiterer

Ladbrook John, butcher and parish clerk

Plested John, bricklayer

Smith Charles Henry, farmer

Stanley Samuel, farmer, Glebe farm

Letters through Campden, which is the nearest money order office. Box cleared at 4.20 p.m.

Parochial School – Mrs. Hannah Plested, mistress

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.