Ashleworth Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Ashleworth (formerly Escelenorde), is a parish and village in Gloucester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 547, and in 1871, 564 inhabitants, and 1650 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Berkeley, East Gloucestershire; 7 miles east from Newent, 8 south-west from Tewkesbury, 5 north-west from Gloucester, 14 from Malvern, and 10 north-west from Cheltenham. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of nave, north transept, south aisle, and two chancels, with a tower and spire, chiefly in the later English style. The north, or vicar’s chancel, contains a beautiful stained glass window at the east end, by Gibbs, of London, in memory of the parents of Mr. and Miss Colchester, the representatives of a family of considerable antiquity in the place. On the north side of the same chancel there are two other stained glass windows by the same artist, in memory of the wife and daughter of the present incumbent. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Adams Surgeson Attwood, M.A., F.R.A.S., is valued at £280 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The rectory house, pleasantly situated on a rising ground about half-a-mile from the parish church, has a fine view of the surrounding country. There is a National School for children of both sexes. The old manor house, or court, is now used as a farmhouse, in the occupation of Mr. William Henry Clarke, and was formerly a cell of the Augustine Priory at Bristol, and here several of the brethren lived; many portions show considerable antiquity. The old vicarage affords a peculiarly fine specimen of woodwork. An eminence on the north-eastern extremity of the parish, called Barrow Hill, is remarkable for its extensive and panoramic view; it is the freehold property of the Rev. R. B. Baker, of Hasfield Court. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who possess the fee simple of nearly the whole of the parish, are the owners of the manorial rights, which were leased to the late Thomas Fulljames, Esq., whose widow is lady of the manor. There are some small charities for the benefit of the poor. The rateable value of the parish is £3556.

Clergy and Gentry

Attwood Rev. Henry Adams Surgeson, M.A.., F.R.A.S., The Rectory

Fulljames Mrs. Caroline, Fosscombe

Fulljames The Misses, Old Vicarage

Fulljames Robert, Esq., Barrow farm

Taylor Mrs. Elizabeth, Lond’s Hill house

Trades and Professions

Arkell Frederick, butcher, farmer, and cattle dealer

Child Thomas, police constable

Clark Edwin, farmer, Old farm

Clarke William Henry, farmer, Ashleworth court

Colchester Stephen M., farmer, Yew Tree house

Davis Henry, tailor

Davis William and John, blacksmiths

Davis William (firm of William and John Davis), carrier

Healing James, shopkeeper and pig dealer

Healing Lewis, baker and grocer

Holloway James, National schoolmaster

Jelf Mrs. Sarah, “Boat”

Jelf William, hay and coal dealer

Jones John, farmer, Colwells farm

Lane Charles, carpenter and wheelwright

Lane John, farmer, Box bush

Lane Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright

Lane William, shoemaker and shopkeeper

Pimbell Walter, beer retailer and hay dealer

Roberts Mrs. Ann, “Queen’s Arms”

Roberts David, farmer, Longridge

Roberts Edwin, coal and hay dealer

Roberts Giles, farmer, Goss farm

Surman Joseph, farmer, Stone Bow farm

Taylor John, farmer, Green

Taylor Minot, farmer, Stream farm

Taylor Sidney, farmer, Lord’s Hill farm

Turk Mrs. Mary, farmer and sub-postmistress

Voyce John, farmer and hay dealer

Voyce William, farmer, The Stream

White George, butcher and farmer, Portobello farm

Post Office – Mrs. Mary Turk, sub-postmistress. Letters from Gloucester arrive at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.10 p.m. Gloucester is the nearest money order office.

Police Station – Thomas Child, constable in charge

National School – James Holloway, master; Mrs. Matilda Holloway, sewing mistress.

Gloucester – William Davis, from his own house, Wed and Sat; and Bartlett, from Hasfield, passes through on Wed & Sat.

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.