Last Updated on
Ruardean is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1842 from chapelry in Walford Ancient Parish in Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Ruardean
- Dean Forest Christ Church
- Dean Forest Holy Trinity
- English Bicknor
- Welsh Bicknor
- Bishop’s Wood
- Hope Mansell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RUARDEAN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Ross and county of Gloucester; 4½ miles W by S of Mitcheldean-Road r. station, and 6 NW of Newnham. It has a post-office under Ross. Acres, 1,590. Real property, £4,658; of which £200 are in mines, £47 in quarries, and £220 in iron-works. Pop., 1,054. Houses, 242. The manor belongs to Col. J. Vaughan. There are ruins of an ancient castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100. Patrons, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church is partly Norman, and has a tower and spire. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Ruardine, or Ruardean, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Newnham (120) 6 m. NW. Pop. 729.
A parish in the hundred of St. Briavells, bounded on the east by the Wye; living, a curacy, subordinate to the vicarage of Walford in the archdeaconry of Hereford and diocese of Gloucester, not in charge; ann. val. P. R. 49l.; church ded. to St. John the Baptist; patronage with Walford vicarage. Here is a small endowed school.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: St Briavels
- Province: Canterbury