Last Updated on

Rodmarton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1603

Administration
  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cirencester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Cirencester
  • Hundred: Longtree
  • Province: Canterbury
Other Places in the Parish
  • Calkerton or Culkerton

Historical Descriptions

Rodmarton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

RODMARTON, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile NW of the Fosse way at the boundary with Wilts, 3 W of Tetbury-Road r. station, and 4¾ N E of Tetbury; and occupies the site of a Roman settlement, probably an advanced post from Cirencester. A tesselated pavement and Roman coins were found at it in 1636. The parish includes the tything of Calkerton, and comprises 4,012acres. Post-town, Cirencester. Real property, £4,022. Pop., 401. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Miss Gordon. The manor-house, a quadrangular edifice of the 15th century, is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £650. Patron, the Rev. S. Lysons. The church is early English, was restored in 1862, and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £19. An old chapel in the hamlet of Tarlton, 1½ mile E, is at the manor-house there, and has been partially restored. S. and D. Lysons, authors of “Magna Britannia,” were natives.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Rodmarton, 2 miles S.E. Minchinhampton. P. 431

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Calkerton

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Calkerton, a tything, in the parish of Rodmarton, union of Cirencester, hundred of Longtree, E. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 145 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Poll Books

Rodmarton Poll Book 1834 – Google Books

Parish Records

Birth, Marriage, & Death Records – FamilySearch

Census Records – FamilySearch

Migration Records – FamilySearch

Military Records – FamilySearch

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 14 results

Photographs