Randwick, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Randwick is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1733 from chapelry in Standish Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Oxlinch.
Parish registers begin: 1662
Nonconformists include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Calvinistic Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Randwick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RANDWICK, a village and a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile N W of Stroud r. station, and has a post-office under Stroud. The parish contains also the hamlet of Oxlinch, and is all within Stroud borough. Acres, 1,260. Real property, £2,702; of which £173 are in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 959; in 1861, 1,060. Houses, 234. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to F. J. R. Barrow, Esq. Rylands, Blenheim House, and Longcourt are chief residences. Randwick Ash commands a fine view of the vale of Gloucester and the Malvern hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £130. Patron, the Vicar of Standish. The church is later English and Tudor; was restored the nave almost rebuilt in 1865; and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed national school with £40 a year, and charities £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Randwick, a parish in the upper division of Whitston hund., union of Stroud, county of Gloucester; 2 miles north-west by west of Stroud. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; certified at £8 8s., returned at £90 8s.; gross income £128. Patron, the rector of Standish. Here are a Huntingdonian Methodist church, formed in 1796; and 2 daily schools, one of which, a National school, is endowed with £30 per annum. Other charities, in 1826, £14 15s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £238 14s. Acres 1,260. Houses 203. A. P. £1,616. Pop., in 1801, 856; in 1831, 1,031.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Randwick, 2 m. N.W. Stroud. P.979
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Randwick, co. Gloucester.
P.T. Stroud (101) 2 m. NW b W. Pop. 984.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Whitston, through which passes the Thames and Severn Canal. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on here. The living is a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Standish, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified value 8l. 8s.; ann. val. P. R. 90l. 8s.; patron, the rector of Standish. The church has been recently enlarged, by the aid of the Incorporated Society for building and enlarging churches. Here are an endowed school for the education of forty children and a small parochial library, and places of worship, both for Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury