Last Updated on
Sudeley Manor is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1705
Parishes adjacent to Sudeley Manor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUDELEY-MANOR, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; 6½ miles NE of Cheltenham r. station. Post town, Winchcomb, under Cheltenham. Acres, 2,622. Real property, £4,488. Pop., 98. Houses, 17. S. Castle was built, in the time of Henry VI., by Boteler Lord Sudeley; occupies the site of a previous castle, built soon after the Norman conquest; was taken from Boteler by Edward IV.; became the property of Lord Admiral Seymour, in the time of Edward VI., and the death-place of Queen Catherine Parr; went, in the time of Queen Mary, to Lord Chandos; was visited, in 1592, by Elizabeth; was garrisoned for the king, in the civil wars of Charles I.; was taken by the parliamentarians, and dismantled; belongs now to J. Dent, Esq.; is partly a renovated edifice, and partly a splendid ruin; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Tracy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £45. Patron, J. Dent, Esq. The church was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Sudeley, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Winchcombe (99) 1 m. SSE. Pop. 90.
A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 6l. 11s. 5½d.; ann. val. P. R. 46l.; patron (1829) Lord Rivers. Here are the ruins of Sudeley Castle, which have rather the appearance of a castellated mansion, than a baronial fortress; it was erected in the reign of Henry VI., on the site of a more ancient castle; in the time of the civil wars it was garrisoned for the king, but being forced to surrender, the walls and habitable parts were dismantled by the conquerors, who destroyed the memorials of the dead, and stripped even the chapel of its roof. Queen Catharine Parr and several of the Bridges family were buried here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury