Westerleigh is a chapelry of Pucklechurch Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Coalpit Heath, Henfield, Nibley, Mayshill, and Kendalshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1693

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Westerleigh

  • Mangotsfield
  • Winterbourne
  • Wapley with Codrington
  • Coalpit Heath
  • Frampton Cotterell
  • Dyrham
  • Pucklechurch
  • Yate

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WESTERLEIGH, a parish, with W. village, Nibley hamlet, and part of Coalpit-Heath chapelry, in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 2 miles S of Yate r. station, and 2¾ SW of Chipping-Sodbury. Post town, Chipping-Sodbury. Acres, 4,009. Real property, £15,542; of which £7,442 are in mines. Pop., 1,582. Houses, 331. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. G. Smyth and Mrs. Colston. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Pucklechurch. The church is later English, and was injured by fire in 1863. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £76. A cattle fair is held on 19 Sept.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848

Westerleigh, a parish in the hund. of Puckle-church, union of Chipping-Sodbury, county of Gloucester; 3 miles south-west by west of Chipping-Sodbury. Living, a curacy, united to the vicarage of Puckle-church, in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester; not in charge. Patronage with the vicarage of Puckle-church. The church is a handsome building, in the later style of English architecture; an additional church is about to be built in this parish; also an infant school-house. Here are two schools, at each of which ten boys, and the same number of girls, receive education, on an endowment of £20 per annum by Sir John Smyth. Acres 3,840. Houses 341. A.P. £10,889. Pop, in 1801, 1,582; in 1831, 1,709. Poor rates, in 1838, £702 2s There is a railway, 9 miles in length, between the floating-dock in Bristol, and Coalpit heath in this parish. It is probable that this railway will be extended (as originally contemplated), so as to connect Bristol with Birmingham.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
  • Hundred: Pucklechurch
  • Province: Canterbury