Fladbury Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855



Fladbury (with the Chapelries of Stock and Bradley, Throckmorton, and Wyre Piddle; and the Hamlets of Hill and Moor, and Abbots Lench, or Hob Lench) Billings Directory 1855

Fladbury is a very extensive parish and village, situate about 3 miles E. of Pershore, containing in 1851 a population of 394 inhabitants. In the reign of Ethelred a society of religious persons was established here, subordinate to the cathedral of Worcester.

Stock and Bradley, a chapelry to the above parish, is a very straggling village, about 9 miles from Fladbury, and 6 E. of Droitwich, containing according to the last census 288 inhabitants.

Throckmorton is also a chapelry to Fladbury, about 4 miles from Pershore, containing in 1851 a population of 153 inhabitants.

Wyre Piddle is another chapelry in the parish, situate about 2 miles from Pershore, with a population in 1851 of 269 inhabitants.

Hill and Moor form a hamlet belonging to Fladbury; Hill being a mile and a half S.W., and Moor about half a mile W. therefrom, with a population according to the last census of 372 inhabitants.

Abbot’s Lench, or Hob Lench, is also a small hamlet to the parish, from which it is distant about 4 miles N.E., with a population in 1851 of 73 inhabitants.

The Church at Fladbury, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a very ancient building, consisting of nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and tower at the west end, and south porch. The chancel contains two piscinas. The interior of the church is well fitted up, and has a very neat appearance. There is a fine-toned organ. The tower has eight pinnacles, and contains a fine peal of six bells. There are several handsome monuments, the chief of which is a very ancient one in the centre of the church, to the Throckmorton family, dated 1445; a tablet to Bishop Lloyd, and one to Elizabeth Chartlett. The living is a Rectory, in the presentation of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. Frederick Gauntlett, M.A., Rector; Mr. Thomas Milton, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.

The Chapel at Stock and Bradley is a small and somewhat ancient building, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and tower; the aisle being separated by arches, supported by wooden pillars. The living is united with that of Bradley. Rev. John Home, Curate; Thomas Bristow, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

The Chapel of Ease at Throckmorton is a very old building, in the early Norman style of architecture, and consists of nave and chancel, with a square tower, containing four bells, one of which fell down in the early part of this year. At the west end is a gallery, which was erected in 1834, and the church underwent repairs at the same time, at an expense of about £370, raised by subscriptions. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. Stephen Bennett, Curate; Mr. Joseph Clarke, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

The Chapel of Ease at Wyre Piddle is a neat, plain old structure, containing only nave and chancel, with small gallery at the west end, and was erected in 1830, by the Smith/Rev. Martin S.|Rev. Martin S. Smith]], Rector, for the accommodation of the poor of the chapelry. In the chancel are a very ancient piscina and font. Rev. Stephen Bennett, M.A., Curate; Mr. Thomas Sherwood, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

The National School at Fladbury was erected in the year 1840, and is supported by subscriptions and the children’s payments. It is under Diocesan inspection. Mr. James Wilcox, Master. Average number of scholars, 60.

Charities – The charities of Fladbury are rather numerous, amongst which we may mention that of Thomas Wilcox, who in 1403 left land at Fladbury Hill for the benefit of the church. William White, of London, in 1681, left £5 for the poor, which was increased in 1843 to £17. William George also left £50 for the poor. Rev. M.S. Smith, a rector of this parish, gave the interest of £1,000, to be laid out in books, coal, &c., for the poor. There is a great number of other sums, which are annually distributed to the poor in accordance with the trust-deeds.

At Stock and Bradley the charities consist of the following – Richard Jones, in 1621, gave 20s annually to the poor; Henry Collier, late of Hallow Fields, in 1653, left some lands, the rents arising therefrom to be for the benefit of the poor.

Directory

Gauntlett Rev. Frederick, M.A., Rector, Rectory

Preedy William, Esq., The Chantry

Godwin Mr. J. H.

Oldham Mr.

Quarrell Mr. C.

Berrington John, Station Master

Drinkwater Joseph, bricklayer and shopkeeper

Drury Charles, market gardener

Edwards John, maltster

Gibbs William, baker

Giles Trenfield, tailor

Gittus William, victualler, Chequers

Goodwin Thomas, tailor and shopkeeper

Hartell John, victualler, Anchor

Langstone George, carpenter

Lunn George, farmer and miller

Millward William, baker and shopkeeper

Milton Charles, shoe maker

Milton Thomas, shoe maker and Parish Clerk

Oldaker George, corn dealer

Paine John, butcher

Stephens John, farmer, Spring Hill; also of Craycombe Farm

Stephens George, miller, Cropthorne Mill

Stephens Samuel, farmer, Machine Farm

Wagstaff Robert, farmer, Doctor’s Farm

Watkins William, blacksmith

Stock

Humphreys John, shopkeeper and blacksmith; and at Bradley

Kendrick Thomas, farmer, Pigeon House

Laight William, farmer, The Oak, Stock Green Mumford Matilda, victualler, rose and Crown, Stock Green

Summers Thomas, beer retailer, Bird in Hand, Stock Green

Bradley

Home Rev. John, LL.B., Curate of Stock and Bradley, and Perpetual Curate of Dormston

Bamford Samuel, farmer, Moat Farm; also of Himbleton

Bloxam Margaret, baker

Boulton Richard, farmer, Great House

Boulton William, farmer, Horn’s Farm, Bradley Green

Brazier George, tailor and farmer

Brown William, farmer, Red House, Bradley Green

Bristow Thomas, Parish Clerk

Burbage Christopher, shopkeeper

Cook William, farmer, Church Farm, Bradley Green

Court William, victualler, Red Lion, Bradley Green

Downes William, farmer and cattle dealer

Edwards John, blacksmith

Harber Henry, beer retailer and farmer, Bradley Green

Moleswork William, wheelwright

Wild William, shoe maker, Constable, and Collector of Taxes

Throckmorton

Buckle John F., farmer, The Church Farm

Chattaway Richard, farmer, The Court

Grizzell Edward, blacksmith Izard Henry, cooper

Partington Jane, farmer, Tilesford Farm

Smith Susannah, farmer

Wyre Piddle

Bennett Rev. Stephen, Curate

Berrington Rev. J., Methodist Minister, Chapel House

Sawyer Mrs.

Woodward Mrs.

Bomford Thomas, farmer

Eccles Mark, tailor

Farr Benjamin, farmer and butcher

Howse Martin, farmer

Lock Luke, victualler, George

Morris Mary, shoe maker

Partington John, farmer

Randall John, Police Officer, Station

Roberts James, victualler, Anchor

Skinner Joseph, shopkeeper

Wagstaff James, farmer

Watkins Elijah, blacksmith and wheelwright

Abbot’s Lench

Partington William, farmer

Tandy Richard, farmer

Tovey John, farmer

Hill and Moor

Dorrell Mr. J., The High House

George Mr. J., Spring Hill Cottage

George Miss S., Hill Moor

Beck John, shoe maker

Bullock Thomas, farmer

Gibbs Isaac, blacksmith

Haidon John, wheelwright and carpenter

Hundy James, wheelwright

Hunt Benjamin, farmer, Hill Fields

Pestridge William, shoe maker

Saisom David, farmer

Stanton Henry, farmer

Stanton Sarah, baker

Wagstaff James, farmer

Wagstaff Thomas, farmer

Wagstaff William, farmer

Post Office, Fladbury – Frederick Stephens, Sub-Postmaster, Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; departure, 4 15 p.m.

Post Office, Wyre Piddle – Charles Cotton, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 7 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 45 p.m.

Carriers

Bromsgrove, Honeyband, from Bradley Green, Tues., 8 a.m.

Evesham, Hunt, from Fladbury, Mon., 7 a.m.

Worcester, Hunt, from House, Fladbury, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m. Honeyband, from Bradley Green, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855