Brampton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Easby, Great Easby, and Naworth.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1663

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Church in England, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Brampton

  • Nether Denton
  • Lanercost with Kirkcambeck
  • Irthington
  • Hayton
  • Walton
  • Farlam

Historical Descriptions

Brampton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRAMPTON, a small town, a township, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district, in Cumberland. The town stands in a deep narrow vale, near the confluence of the rivers Irthing and Gelt, 1½ mile N of Milton r. station, 2 S of the Roman wall, and 9 ENE of Carlisle. It is thought by Camden to occupy the site of the Roman station Brementuracum; it rose early to some importance, as a seat of population, and a centre of strength; it sustained much damage during the wars in the time of Edward II.; it was occupied, in 1715, by the troops of the Pretender, and in 1745 by those of Prince Charles Edward. It is long, and irregularly built; and has few modern houses. The town hall is an octagonal structure, resting on piazzas; and was erected in 1817. The parish church is a spacious edifice, of 1788, built in lieu of an ancient one about a mile distant. The grammar school, near the church, occupies the site of an hospital, founded in 1688. The workhouse was erected at a cost of £1,250. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Independents, and Methodists. The town has a post office under Carlisle, and two chief inns; and is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place. A weekly market is held on Wednesday, and fairs on 20 April, Trinity Wednesday, the second Wednesday of Sept., and 23 Oct. Some cotton manufacture and extensive brewing are carried on. A mineral railway goes to Tindal fell; and a railway to Longtown was authorised in 1866. Pop., 2,379. Houses, 514.

The township extends into the country. Real property, £10,742. Pop., 2,933. Houses, 619. The parish contains also the township of Easby and Naworth. Acres, 16,970. Real property, £16,871. Pop., 3,585. Houses, 733. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. Naworth Castle is the Earl of Carlisle’s seat; and was formerly that of the Dacre family. Freestone is quarried. A famous Roman inscription, noticed by Camden, is still visible on a rock overhanging the Gelt. An ancient camp occurs on Castle-hill, with very extensive views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £466. Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The subdistrict contains the parishes of Brampton, Farlam, Nether Denton, and Upper Denton, the extra-parochial tract of Midgeholm, and part of the parish of Lanercost. Pop., 5,501. Houses, 1,097. The district comprehends also the sub. district of Walton, containing the parishes of Walton and Irthington, and part of the parish of Lanercost; and the subdistrict of Hayton, containing the parishes of Hayton, Cumrew, Cumwhitton, and Castle-Carrock, the extra-parochial tract of Carlatton, and part of the parish of Wetherel. Acres, 95,473. Poor-rates in 1866, £4,488. Pop. in 1861, 10,866. Houses, 2,170. Marriages in 1866, 55; births, 307, of which 53 were illegitimate; deaths, 195, of which 42 were at ages under 5 years, and 12 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 443; births, 3,211; deaths, 1,838. The places of worship in 1851, were 12 of the Church of England, with 2,987 sittings; 1 of the Presbyterian church in England, with 200 s.; 1 of Independents, with 250 s.; and 12 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,250 s. The schools were 11 public day schools, with 532 scholars; 7 private day schools, with 392 s.; and 15 Sunday schools, with 1,102 s.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Naworth

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

NAWORTH, a township in Brampton parish, Cumberland; on the river Irthing and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, near the Roman wall, 2 ½ miles ENE of Brampton. Real property, £4,714. Pop., 557. Houses, 97. Naworth Castle was built, in the 13th century, by Ranulph Dacre; continued in the possession of the Dacres till 1569; passed then, by marriage, to Lord William Howard, the “Belted Will” of traditional lore, and warden of the marches in the time of Elizabeth; and belongs now to the Earl of Carlisle. It stands on the edge of a platform, nearly insulated by a deep gulley; was originally designed for protection against raids from the Scottish Border; was much enlarged and strengthened about 1316; underwent further improvement by Lord William Howard; was severely injured by fire in 1844; has been carefully restored, with retention of its ancient features; consists chiefly of two large square towers, with intervening buildings, and with interior quadrangular court; includes a great hall with walls 7 ½ feet thick, the private apartments of Lord William Howard, a concealed passage from his oratory to a grated aperture at the top of dungeons, and these dungeons themselves with their old appliances of imprisonment; and contains curious old paintings, pieces of tapestry, and suits of armour. An ancient earth-work, probably British, with two encircling ramparts, is S of the castle and near the railway.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Brampton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Carlisle
  • Poor Law Union: Brampton
  • Hundred: Eskdale Ward
  • Province: York