Frenchay is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1836 from Winterbourne Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: St. John Baptist, Frenchay
Other places in the parish include: Hambrook and Frenchay.
Parish registers begin: 1834
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Unitarian.
Parishes adjacent to Frenchay
- Stoke Gifford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FRENCHAY, a tything and a chapelry in Winterbourne parish, Gloucester. The tything lies on an affluent of the river Avon, 2 miles NNW of Mangotsfield r. station, and 4 NE of Bristol; is a conjoint tything with Hambrook; and has a post office under Bristol. Pop., 1,621. Houses, 358. The chapelry was constituted in 1836; and is less extensive than the tything. Pop., 1,531. Houses, 337. The property is divided among a few. Frenchay House is a chief residence. A thin vein of coal occurs here in a solid rock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, £500. Patron, St. John’s College, Oxford. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury