Last Updated on
Fretherne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1631
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Fretherne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FRETHERNE, a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; on the Berkeley ship canal, and on the river Severn, 3¼ miles ESE of Newnham r. station, and 7½ WNW of Stroud. Post town, Whitminster, under Stone-house. Acres, 930; of which 365 are water. Pop., 237. Houses, 53. The manor was known to the Saxons as Fethanieag. Fretherne Lodge belonged to the Cliffords, and passed to the Whiteleys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £282. Patron, Sir W. L. Darell, Bart. The church is modern; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £95.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Fretherne, 10m. S.W. Gloucester. P. 242
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
FRETHERNE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 9½ miles (W. N. W.) from Stroud, containing 210 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king‘s books at £5. 6. 8. The Rev. J. H. Dunsford was patron in 1824. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. This is supposed to be the place called in the Saxon Chronicle Fethanteage, where Ceawlin, King of Wessex, obtained a victory over the Britons in 584. Fretherne cliff rises sixty feet above the surface of the Severn, on the bank of which it is situated. The Clifford family had anciently a castle in this parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury