Arlingham Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Arlingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
The parish includes the hamlet of Overton.
Parish church: St. Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Arlingham
Note: Awre, Newnham and Westbury on Severn are separated from Arlingham by the river Severn.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARLINGHAM, a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester: on the left side of the Severn, within a fold of that river, nearly opposite Newnham r. station, and 8 miles WNW of Stonehouse. It has a post office under Stonehouse. Acres, 3,225, of which 835 are water. Real property, £5,333. Pop., 693. Houses, 163. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land is marshy. Some spots command a fine view of the Severn and its screens. A chief residence is Arlingham Court. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £193. Patron, John Sayer, Esq. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £80.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Arlingham, 2 m. S.E. Newnham. P. 793
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Arlingham (St. Mary the Virgin), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (S. E. by E.) from Newnham; containing 793 inhabitants. The parish is situated on a nook of land, formed by a curvature of the river Severn, by which it is bounded on three sides, and across which is a ferry to Newnham: from an eminence called Barrow hill is a very extensive and pleasing view. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £19. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Hodges, to whom also the impropriation belongs; net income, £193. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, by an inclosure act, in 1801. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Mrs. Mary Yate, in 1765, endowed a school for boys and girls with a rent-charge of £40; she also gave an additional rent-charge of £40 for the benefit of the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Arlingham, a parish in the hund. of Berkeley, union of Wheatenhurst, Gloucestershire; 1 mile south-east of Newnham; on the opposite side of the estuary of the Severn. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £19 17s. 8 ½ d.; gross income £200. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs Rogers. The tithes were commuted in 1801. The parish is surrounded on three sides by the Severn. A school was endowed here, in 1765, by Mrs Mary Yate: it has a revenue of £40 per annum, of which £20 are paid to the master, £10 to the mistress, and £10 are laid out in the purchase of books. In 1833, 54 children were educated on this endowment. The same lady also left £40 per annum to the poor of this parish. There are two infant schools here. Pop., in 1801, 506; in 1831, 744. Houses 103. Acres 2,300. A. P. £4,110. Poor rates, in 1837, £336.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Arlingham, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Newnham (120) 2 m. SE. Pop. 715.
A parish in the hundred of Berkeley, upper division; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 19l. 7s. 8½d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) Mrs. Rogers. This village is rendered peninsular, by the windings of the Severn which renders it damp and unhealthy to strangers.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Arlingham, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (S.E. by E.) from Newnham, containing 715 inhabitants. The living is a Vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king’s books at £19. 7. 8½. Mrs. Rogers was patroness in 1814. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Arlingham is situated on a nook of land, formed by a curvature of the river Severn, by which the parish is bounded on three sides. Mrs. Mary Yate, in 1765, endowed a school for boys and girls with a rent charge of £40 per ammm, £20 of which she directed should be paid to the master, £10 to the mistress, and the remainder to be laid out in purchasing books. She also gave an additional rent charge of £40 per annum for the beneﬁt of the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Berkeley
- Province: Canterbury