Oldbury-on-Severn is a chapelry of Thornbury Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Oldbury upon Severn
Other places in the parish include: Churchmead, West End, Shepherdine, and Rook Farm.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Oldbury-on-Severn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OLDBURY-UPON-SEVERN, a tything and a chapelry in Thornbury parish, Gloucester. The tything lies on the Severn, 2 miles WNW of Thornbury, and 5¾ NNE of New Passage r. station; contains Shepherdine, Churmead, Rook-Farm, and West End; and has a post-office under Bristol. Real property, £7,080; of which £59 are in fisheries. Pop., 707. Houses, 143. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Shepherdine House is the residence of A. Buchan, Esq. There are two Roman camps. The chapelry is more extensive than the tything. Pop., about 1,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £239. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is an old stone building; has been partially repaired; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Oldbury on Severn 1538 to 1733
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews.
Note. – Oldbury-on-Severn was anciently a chapelry of Thornbury, from which is was separated ecclesiastically September 15, 1863, and civilly, in or soon after 1894. Its ancient church, dedicated to St. Arilda, was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1897, when the register from the year 1700 perished. The two earliest volumes of the register (1538-1740), which are still extant, are in the care of the Vicar of Thornbury. It is from them, as far as they go, that the Marriages entries have been transcribed.
Volume I has large parchment leaves, 2 ft. by 11 in., and has been carefully rebound in a stiff parchment cover. It contains Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538 – 1644, with marginal letters to distinguish the three classes of entries.
Volume II (1645-1740), with parchment cover and leaves, 13 7/8 in. by 4 ½ in., has the title: – “Anno Domini 1648. Bought this booke the 4th of August of Mr. Thomas Thoms, of Bristoll, cost 10s.” The entries commence 30 March 1645. They are incomplete, 1650-1662, wanting 1701, 1726, 1727, for 1728 there are entries only Dec. 16 to Feb. 22; 1729 wanting up to Oct. 9; no Baptisms 1739, and there are no Marriage entries after 1733. It is very remarkable that the Marriages, which are fairly numerous till 1649, fall off after 1649 to a negligible quantity. Probably the Vicar of Thornbury discouraged marriages at this chapelry, and had them solemnised at the parish church.
The Marriage entries have been copied by Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., with the sanction of the Rev. A. W. Cornwall, M.A., Vicar of Thornbury. The Rev. Edmund R. Nevill, of Salisbury, has kindly solved several doubtful readings.
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1909.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Thornbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Dursley
- Poor Law Union: Thornbury
- Hundred: Thornbury
- Province: Canterbury