Deerhurst, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Deerhurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Apperley is a chapelry of Deerhurst.
Other places in the parish include: Deerhurst Walton, Wightfield, and Whitfield
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Moravian/United Brethren.
Parishes adjacent to Deerhurst
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Deerhurst, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, at the boundary with Worcester, 2 miles SW of Tewkesbury town and r. station; was formerly called Deorhurst and Deortyrst; and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Coventry. The parish includes also the hamlets of Deerhurst-Walton and Apperley-with-Whitefield; and. Its post-town is Tewkesbury. Acres, 2,930. Real property, £7,781. Pop., 930. Houses, 207. The property is divided among a few. A priory was founded here, in 715, by Duke Dodo; rebuilt, in 980 after being destroyed by the Danes; was given in 1056 to St. Denis abbey, and afterwards to Tewkesbury abbey; and passed, at the dissolution, to the Throckmortons. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Apperley, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £102. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1490; has Norman traces; comprises a nave and aisles, with a square tower; was renovated in 1862, at a cost of about £2,500; and contains 2 brasses, one of them a fine canopied brass of Chief-Baron Cassey. There is a Wesleyan chapel. – The sub-district is in Tewkesbury district; and contains nine parishes, and parts of two others. Acres, 18,152. Pop., 4,229. Houses, 948. – The hundred consists of detached pieces; contains nine parishes and parts of three others; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Acres, 11,909 and 7,970. Pop. of the whole 4,994. Houses, 1,092.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Deerhurst (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Tewkesbury, partly in the Lower division of the hundred of Deerhurst, and partly in the Lower division of the hundred of Westminster, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (S. W.) from Tewkesbury; containing, with the hamlets of Apperley and Whitfield, 937 inhabitants, of whom 257 are in the hamlet of Deerhurst-Walton. It is bounded on the west by the navigable river Severn. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patron, Bisop of Gloucester and Bristol; impropriator, W. Barnard, Esq. the church, which exhibits portions in the Norman, early English, and decorated styles, formerly belonged to a priory, established about 715, by the Mercian duke, Doddo, one of the founders of Tewkesbury Abbey. This priory, having been destroyed by the Danes, was refounded in 980, and given by Edward the Confessor to the Benedictine abbey of St. Denis, in France, to which it became a cell; upon the seizure of alien priories it was granted to Eton College, but Edward IV., revoking that grant, made it a cell to the abbey of Tewkesbury, and so it remained till the Dissolution. The remains of the structure, which have been converted into a farm-house, are in the later English style, much enriched with decorated tracery. Deerhurst gives the title of Viscount to the noble family of Coventry.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Deerhurst; Westminster (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury