Huntley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1679
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Huntley
- Westbury on Severn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HUNTLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester. The village stands near the boundary with Hereford, 2 miles NE of Mitcheldean-Road r. station, and 4 S of Newent; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,409 acres. Real property, £2,520. Pop., 533. Houses, 115. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. Patron, the Rev. D. Capper. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1863; is in the decorated English style; comprises nave, chancel, N aisle, organ recess, and vestry; has had a spire added to the tower, and a brooch spire to the stair turret; is richly fitted, in the interior. with sculptures, medallions, coloured marbles, and alabaster; and has a pulpit of marble and alabaster, and a font of marble and carved stone. There are a national school, and charities £28. The sub-district contains also five other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 19,223. Pop., 5,715. Houses, 1,161.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Huntley 1583 to 1837
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XVI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The earliest register book possessed by the Parish is inscribed “The Register Book of Huntley from the year 1679.” It is in good condition, the leaves measuring 14 ½ in. by 6in., and bound in parchment. It contains (a) six paper leaves not numbered, the first two pages blank, the remainder containing copies of old documents dealing with the history of the Parish Charity Lands, an account of the accidental burning of the old Registers, and extracts from them; (b) thirty-six parchment leaves, containing the registers from 1679 to 1775.
Volume II is also in good condition, bound in parchment, and measures is 13¼ ins. by 8½ ins. It contains the Marriage Registers only from 1754 to 1806.
Volume III is in the statutory form, and contains the Marriage Registers from 1813 to 1836. The Marriages from 1806 to 1813 have been copied from the transcripts in the Registry.
Volume IV commences in 1837, is in statutory form, and is in use to-day.
These extracts (by permission of the Rector) have been made by and are printed under the supervision of Mr. John N. Blood, V.D., M.A., B.C.L., Churchwarden of Huntley, who has also collated them with the transcripts in the Bishop’s Registry at Gloucester.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
- Probate Court: Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
- Hundred: Duchy of Lancaster
- Province: Canterbury