Last Updated on
Tanworth in Arden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Tanworth
Other places in the parish include: Hockley Heath, Codbro, and Box Tree.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
- Presbyterian, and
- Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Tanworth in Arden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TANWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands 4 miles NW of Henley-in-Arden, and 5 SW of Knowle r. station; and has a post-office under Birmingham. The parish is cut into 4 quarters, and comprises 9,400 acres. Rated property, £11,375. Pop., 1,946. Houses, 440. Much of the land belongs to Earl Amherst and T. Burman, Esq. Umberslade is the seat of G. F. Muntz, Esq. A very large reservoir of the Birmingham and Stratford canal is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £507. Patron, Earl Amherst. The church is good. A section, with a pop. of 1,142, and bearing the name of Salters-street, was constituted a separate charge in 1843; and the living of it is a p. curacy, of the value of £150, in the patronage of the Vicar. A tower was added to its church in 1861. There are two national schools, an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £196. The sub-district contains three parishes and two hamlets. Pop., 3,029. Houses, 680.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
TANWORTH (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Solihull, Henley division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Henley-in-Arden; containing 1925 inhabitants. This parish, which is near the road and the canal from Birmingham to Stratford, comprises, with the liberty of Monks-Riding, 9400 acres, the property of several freeholders, of whom Edward Bolton King, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are 4668 acres of arable, and 3890 of pasture, and the remainder of the area is composed of wood and waste grounds ; the soil on one side of the parish is chiefly clay, and the lands are under good cultivation Umberslade Hall, here, the seat of Mr. King, and formerly the residence of the Lords Archer, is a handsome mansion built in 1720 with stone from a quarry in the parish. The village is pleasantly situated; the manufacture of wick-yarn was once carried on to a considerable extent, but is now discontinued. A fair for cattle and sheep is held on the 23rd of April, and one at the end of September for hiring servants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Viscount Holmesdale, who, with Mr. King, is impropriator; the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £500; there is an excellent vicarage-house, built by the incumbent, the Rev. Dr. Saunders, master of the Charter-House school, London, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church, originally a handsome structure in the decorated English style, has been greatly impaired by injudicious alterations made within the last 50 years. A church has been erected at Salters-Street, which see; and two schools for boys, and two for girls, are supported out of the proceeds of bequests producing £150 per annum, the remainder of which is distributed to the poor. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Postcards are a cost effective way of illustrating your family history with contemporary pictures of the places your relatives lived.
Postcards of on Tanworth in Arden on Ebay
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Solihull
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Warwick
- Poor Law Union: Solihull
- Hundred: Kington
- Province: Canterbury