Bickenhill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Church, Church and Middle Quarter, Church Quarter, Lyndon, Middle Quarter, Marston, Marston Quarter, Middle, and Lyndon Quarter.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1671
Parishes adjacent to Bickenhill
- Hampton in Arden
- Great Packington
- Little Packington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BICKENHILL, a parish in Meriden district, Warwick; on the Northwestern railway and the Warwick canal, 2 miles NW of Hampton-Junction r. station, and 8 SE of Birmingham. It comprises Church, Middle, Lyndon, and Marston quarters; and has a post office under Birmingham. Acres, 3,771. Real property, £6,674. Pop., 744. Houses, 170. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £222. Patron, the Earl of Aylesford. The church is old but good. There are a chapel of ease, a national school, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Church-Bickenhill, 3 miles N.E. Solihull. P. 774.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Bickenhill (Church), a parish in the Solihull division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Meriden, county of Warwick, including the quarters of Lyndon and Marston; 4½ miles south-south-west of Coles Hill, on the line of the Birmingham and London railway, and in the vicinity of the Birmingham and Warwick canal. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 17s. 3d.; gross income £222. Patron, in 1835, the Earl of Aylesford. The great and small tithes of Bickenhill and Diddington, the property of the lay-impropriator and vicar, were commuted in 1818. There is a daily school here. Pop., in 1801, 664; in 1831, 725. Houses 143. Acres 3,810. A. P. £3,844. Poor rates, in 1837, £428.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Meriden
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Meriden
- Hundred: Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury