Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Independents and Primitive Methodists.
Parishes adjacent to Brinklow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRINKLOW, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands on the Fossé way and the Oxford canal, 1½ mile SW of Stretton r. station, and 5½ NW of Rugby. It has a post office‡ under Coventry; is a seat of petty sessions; and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 1,410 acres. Real property, £3,512. Pop., 736. Houses, 179. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Mowbrays, and had a castle of theirs; but passed to the Stutevilles and the Segraves. Traces of a Roman camp exist; and some Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £228. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is variously early and decorated English; was restored in 1862; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists. A school has £17 from endowment; and other charities have £31. The family of Rous, the antiquary, were residents.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Brinklow, 6½m. E. Coventry. P. 797.
Source Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
White Thomas, Brinklow, Warwickshire, innholder, April 17, 1821.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Rugby
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Coventry
- Poor Law Union: Rugby
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury