Burton Dassett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: North End, Little Dassett, and Knightcote.
Parish registers begin: 1564
Nonconformists include: General Baptist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Burton Dassett
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURTON-DASSETT, a village and a parish in Southam district, and a division of Kington hundred, Warwick. The village stands 2½ miles W by S of Fenny-Compton r. station, and 4 E of Kington; and was once a market town. The parish includes also the hamlets of Little Dassett, North End, and Knightcote; and its Post Town is Fenny-Compton, under Rugby. Acres, 5,400. Real property, £7,461. Pop., 655. Houses, 153. The manor belonged anciently to the Southleys; and passed to the Belknaps, the Wottons, the Stanhopes, and the Temples. The surface is hilly, and continued long to be a haunt of wild beasts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £167. Patrons, Lord Willoughby de Broke and R. W. Blencowe, Esq. Charities, £73. The division contains ten parishes and part of another. Acres, 18,953. Pop., 3,815. Houses, 809.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Burton-Dasset, 4 miles E. Kineton. P.614.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Burton-Dassett or Desert, – is a parish in the hundred of Kington, 7 miles NW from Banbury, and 78 from London. In 1803, its parochial rates were £650 15s. 2d. at 3s. 2d. in the pound. In 1811, it contained 126 houses and 600 inhabitants. In 1826, it contained 81 houses and 670 inhabitants; and was estimated at £6085, and its proportion to the county rate was £25 7s. 1d. It is a rectory, value £19 17s. 3d.
Although at present a few scattered houses, it was formerly of some note as a market town. John Rous, (who died in 1491) as well as other writers in the 15th century, complain of the enclosures that, during that period, took place.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Southam
- Probate Court: Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
- Poor Law Union: Southam
- Hundred: Kington
- Province: Canterbury