Henley in Arden is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1747 from Wootton Wawen Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Whitley.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1679
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to Henley in Arden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HENLEY-IN-ARDEN, a town and a chapelry in Wootton-Wawen parish, Warwick. The town stands in the forest of Arden, under a sheltering range of hills, on the river Arrow, near its confluence with the Alne, at the terminus of a branch railway, near the boundary with Worcester, and near the Stratford-on-Avon canal, 8 miles NNW of Stratford-on-Avon. The railway to it comes from the Birmingham and Oxford, at Rowington; is 3¼ miles long; and was opened in 1865. The town consists chiefly of one street, about ¾ of a mile long; contains some good modern houses and some ancient ones; and presents a clean and cheerful appearance. It had, when Dugdale wrote, some scant remains of an ancient castle of the Montforts; it had also an hospital or guild, of the time of Henry VI.; and it was entirely destroyed by fire, about the time of the battle of Evesham. It now has a postoffice‡ under Birmingham, a banking office, and a good inn; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and contains a very ancient market cross, a church of the time of Edward I II., a Baptist chapel, a British school, and a national school, and a charity with £113. A weekly market is held on Monday; and fairs on 25 March, WhitTuesday, 21 July, and 11 and 29 Oct. The chapelry includes the town, and extends considerably into the country. Real property, £3, 998. Pop., 1, 069. Houses, 241. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Montforts, passed to the Botelers, and belongs now toMusgrave, Esq. Arden House, Burman House, and Hurst House are lunatic asylums. Ashbury House and Yew-Trees are principal residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £150. Patrons, the Inhabitants.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Henley-in-Harden [sic], 101 m. N.W. London. Mrkt. Mon. P. 1223.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Universal British Directory 1791
Henley, commonly called Henley in Arden, is 102 miles from London, near the river Arrow. It was anciently a member of Watton-Waven [sic], but afterwards annexed to Beaudesert, where was once a castle, and a market kept at it by grant of King Stephen, which was the occasion of building the town for the reception of the market-people, at the bottom of the hill whereon the castle stood. The market is on Tuesday; fairs, March 25 and Whit-Tuesday. About the time of the battle of Evesham it was burnt; but in the reign of Edward I it recovered, and was called the borough of Henley. Here is a chapel of ease to Waveney, the parish-church, which chapel was first built in the 41st of Edward III.
Oldbury is one mile form Henley in Arden, and six from Warwick. The Romans are supposed to have had a fort here, which contained seven acres, enclosed with high ramparts. Several flints have been ploughed up here, curiously ground in the form of a pole-ax, thought to be the instruments of war, brought hither by the Britons, before the invention of other arms, because there are no flints found within forty miles of it.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Henley-in-Arden but who were married in another parish.
Thomas Lea, of Henly Arden, in the Diocez of Worcester, & Elisabeth Medcafe, “at Sowth Littleton church (by virtue of a faculty or lycence from the office in Worcester, directed unto the minister there)” 2 May 1615 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Albot Geo., Henley, Warwickshire, scrivener & brickmaker, April 18, 1828.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Warwick
- Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
- Hundred: Barlinchway
- Province: Canterbury