Last Updated on

Gnosall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Alternative names: Gnosall with Knightley, Gnosall and Knightley

The parish is divided into the quarters of Gnosall, Cowley, Knightley, and Moreton; and includes the hamlets of Alstone, Befcote, Great Chatwell, Coton, Cowley, Moreton, Plardwick, and Wilbrighton, and parts of Apeton and Rule.

Parish church: St. Lawrence

Parish registers begin: 1572

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Gnosall

Historical Descriptions

Gnosall

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

GNOSALL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district of Newport and county of Stafford. The village stands on the river Rowley, adjacent to the Birmingham and Liverpool canal and to the Shrewsbury and Stafford railway, 6½ miles WSW of Stafford; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Stafford, and fairs on 7 May and 23 Sept. The parish is divided into the quarters of Gnosall, Cowley, Knightley, and Moreton; and includes the hamlets of Alstone, Befcote, Great Chatwell, Coton, Cowley, Moreton, Plardwick, and Wilbrighton, and parts of Apeton and Rule. Acres, 10,497. Real property, £17,154. Pop., 2,400. Houses, 515. A number of cottages have become dilapidated; and a decrease of pop. has taken place. The Newport workhouse was here, but has been removed to Newport. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the p. curacy of Knightley, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £175. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is partly Norman, partly of later dates; comprises a nave and two aisles, a chancel and cross aisle, with a central tower; and was once collegiate. The vicarage of Moreton is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £173. The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 24,815. Pop., 4,969. Houses, 1,022.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Chatwell Great and Little

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chatwell (Great and Little), two hamlets in Gnosall parish, Stafford; 8 ½ miles W of Penkridge.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

England, Staffordshire, Church Records, 1538-1944 (FamilySearch) – free

FreeREG – free

Staffordshire Baptisms, Marriages, Burials (FindMyPast)

Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield & Coventry Marriage Allegations and Bonds, 1636-1893 (FindMyPast)

Staffordshire Banns (FindMyPast)

Staffordshire, England, Extracted Church of England Parish Records, 1538-1839 (Ancestry)

National Burial Index (FindMyPast) – free

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Blackband Benjamin, Gnosall, Staffordshire, grocer, Dec. 20, 1825.

Blackband Gerrard, Gnosall, Staffordshire, grocer, Oct. 15, 1822.

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Newport
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Gnosall
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
  • Poor Law Union: Newport
  • Hundred: West Cuttlestone
  • Province: Canterbury

Photographs