Biddulph is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Bradley Green, Knypersley, Overton, Nether Biddulph, Over Biddulph, and Middle Biddulph.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Biddulph
- Brown Edge
- Congleton St Peter
- Norton le Moors
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BIDDULPH, a parish in the district of Congleton and county of Stafford; on the Stoke and Congleton railway, around Gillow-Heath station, 3 miles SSE of Congleton. It consists of the four hamlets of Over-Biddulph or Overton, Nether-Biddulph, Middle-Biddulph, and Knypersley; and its Post Town is Congleton. Acres, 5,635. Real property, £14,544; of which £4,622 are in mines. Pop., 3,468. Houses, 692. The property is much subdivided. Biddulph Hall, a picturesque Tudor edifice, was anciently the seat of the Biddulph family; but is now mainly a ruin, and partly a farmhouse. Knypersley Hall is the seat of J. Bateman, Esq. The land is largely moorish and hilly; and a peak of it, called Mow Cop, 1,091 feet high, commands fine prospects, even to the Mersey. A tract, called Biddulph Moor, is inhabited by a sort of gipsey tribe, a people of peculiar habits, said to have descended from a Saracen, who came to England in the train of a Crusader. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are extensively worked; and several kinds of manufacture are carried on. Remains of a Druidical temple, known as the Bride Stones, and of three curious artificial caves, are on the N border. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Knypersley, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £122. Patron, J. Bateman, Esq. The parish church is a substantial edifice, with a tower; and Knypersley church is a structure of 1849, in the early English style. Another church, in the Norman style, was built, in 1863, at Biddulph Moor; and forms a separate charge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £22.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Biddulph, a parish in the northern division of the hund. of Pirehill, union of Congleton, county of Stafford; 5½ miles west-north-west of Leek, in the neighbourhood of tbe Macclesfield canal, and the Manchester and Birmingham railroad. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry; valued at £4 9s. 8d., and in the parliamentary returns at £86; gross income £122. Patron, in 1835, J. Bateman, Esq. There are three daily schools here, one of which is endowed with £14 per annum, and three Sundsy schools. Several charities connected with this parish have been lost; those which remain produce, besides the school-endowment, £5 6s. per annum. The inhabitants are employed in iron-works, collieries, potteries, and cotton manufactories, which are numerous in the neighbourhood. There are 112 men connected with coal mines alone in this parish. It possesses a curious relic of antiquity called the Bredstones, consisting of eight upright free-stones, six of which are placed in a circle, inclosing the other two, and also several artificial caves paved with stones. Pop. , in 1801, 1,180; in 1831, 1,987. Houses 364. Acres 5,530. A.P. £4,390. Poor rates, in 1837, £387.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Congleton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Leek
- Poor Law Union: Congleton
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury