Canwell Staffordshire Family History Guide



Canwell is an extra-parochial place.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Canwell

  • Weeford
  • Hints
  • Sutton Coldfield
  • Drayton Bassett

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CANWELL, an extra-parochial tract in Tamworth district, Stafford; on the verge of the county, 5 miles SW of Tamworth. Acres, 290. Real property, £681. Pop., 43. Houses, 7. Canwell Hall is the seat of Sir F. Lawley, Bart. A Benedictine priory was founded here in 1142, by Geva, daughter of Hugh Lupus; and given, at the dissolution, to Cardinal Wolsey.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Tamworth
  • Probate Court: Search the surrounding parishes
  • Diocese: Not Applicable
  • Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
  • Poor Law Union: Tamworth
  • Hundred: South Offlow
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.