Mowcop is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1843 from Wolstanton Ancient Parish, Keele Ecclesiastical Parish, Hanford Ecclesiastical Parish and Biddulph Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Mowcop, Molecop
Parish registers begin: 1842
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Mow Cop
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Mowcop, or Molecop, a village in Wolstanton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Biddulph parish, Stafford. The village stands under Molecop Hill, adjacent to the boundary with Cheshire, and near the Macclesfield, Norton-Bridge, and Colwich railway, 3 ¾ miles S by E of Congleton; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stoke-upon-Trent. The chapelry was constituted in 1843. Pop. In 1861, 2,135. Houses, 453. Pop. of the Wolstanton portion, 1,797. Houses, 386. The property is much subdivided. Molecop Hill rises to the altitude of 1,091 feet. Many of the inhabitants are employed in pottery-works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £162. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is modern. There are dissenting chapels and public schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Congleton; Wolstanton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Newcastle under Lyme
- Poor Law Union: Stone, Wolstanton and Burslem, Congleton
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury