Flyford Flavell Billings Directory 1855

Flyford Flavel, formerly called Flabel, is pleasantly situated about 9 miles E. from Worcester, and about 8 ½ S.W. from Alcester. It contained in 1851 a population of 151 inhabitants.

The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a plain, ancient edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and western square tower. The chancel was restored about nine years ago, and the east window, of stained glass, was inserted. The nave contains an ancient piscina; there is also a recess in the south wall of the chancel. The living is a Rectory, in the gift of W. Laslett, Esq. Rev. Francis Best, B.A., Rector; Mr. Edward Skinner, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.


Best Rev. Francis, B.A., Rector of Flyford and Abberton, Rectory

Beck Thomas, blacksmith

Clark Thomas, victualler, steam machine proprietor, wheelwright and shopkeeper, Boot Inn and Halfway House

Cull Richard, farmer

Ewins William, shoe maker, Portway House

Griffin Theophinia, farmer, Church Farm

Laight John, farmer and Constable

Laight Richard, farmer

Skinner Edward, carpenter and Parish Clerk

Smith Henry, farmer, The Hill

Smith Henry, farmer

Smith John Dyke, machine proprietor

Tandy Henry, shoe maker

Unton John, farmer

Weston Thomas, farmer

Young William, mason

Carrier – Worcester, Handy, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855