Flavell derives its additional name of Flyford from a brook of that name, which also runs through Grafton Flyford; it is a small parish and village 9 miles E. of Worcester, on the road to Alcester; is in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Upper Pershore; union, county court district, and petty sessional division of Pershore, polling district of Inkberrow, and highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £824; area of parish, 730 acres; population in 1861, 173; in 1871, 165, with 37 inhabited houses and 43 families or separate occupiers. William Laslett, Esq., of Abberton hall, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is sand and clay, abounding with fossil remains, shells, &c.; the chief crops are wheat, oats, and beans. There is a sulphur spring on one of the farms in the parish. The living is a rectory, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester, and rural deanery of Pershore; value, £84, with residence; patron, William Laslett, Esq.; rector, Rev. Henry John Knight, B.A., Queen’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1862. The church (St. Peter’s) is a little Perpendicular structure, containing nothing noteworthy beyond a round-headed doorway, a part of the ancient rood-screen, a piscina in the nave, an octagonal font, a massive chest with two half-lids, &c. The earliest register is dated 1676. William Laslett, Esq., has recently conveyed to trustees a large landed estate at Hinton-on-the-Green, in Gloucestershire, a portion of the revenues to be applied towards the restoration or rebuilding of the parish church of Flyford Flavell. The parishes of Abberton, Flyford, Naunton Beauchamp, Grafton, Kington, and Dormstone were formed into a school-board district October 28th, 1874. A board school was erected in 1877 from the designs of Henry Rowe, Esq., architect, of Worcester. The school affords instruction to about 100 children.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive from Worcester about 11 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.15 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Feckenham and Pershore are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Peter’s). – Rev. Henry John Knight, B.A., Rector; Messrs. T. Bluck and J. Bluck, Churchwardens; E. Skinner, Parish Clerk.
Board School (boys and girls). – Mr. John Woodward, Master.
Carrier to Worcester. – John Cresswell, on Saturdays; stops at the Coventry Arms Inn, Friar street; returns at 4 p.m.
Holdsworth Mrs., Woodbine cottage
Knight Rev. Henry John, B.A. (rector of Flyford Flavell and of Abberton), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bluck John, farmer, Baynhall farm
Bluck John, cooper
Bluck Thomas, cooper and farmer
Bluck Thomas, bricklayer
Careless Samuel, farmer, Rectory farm; res., Inkberrow
Clark Thomas, Boot Inn, and shopkeeper
Cresswell Jno., fmr. & carrier, Church fm.
Cresswell Robert, farmer
Cresswell Shadrach, carpenter
Cresswell Thomas, farmer
Ewins Edwin George, boot and shoe maker, Portway house
Gilbert Benjamin, farmer
Griffin John, boot and shoe maker
Laight John, farmer, Flyford field
Perkins Joseph, farmer, New house; res., Astwood Bank, Redditch
Skinner Edward, carpenter and parish clk.
Smith George & John, farmers
Tandy Geo., bricklayer, &c., Church close
Tandy H., boot and shoe ma., Church close
Weston Thomas, beer retailer and farmer
Woodward John, schoolmaster
Young William, farmer
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.