Elmley Castle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Netherton is a hamlet, a quarter of a mile N. of Elmley Castle and 2 miles S. of Cropthorne (from which it was separated for ecclesiastical purposes in 1864). There are still to be seen some interesting ruins of a chapel here, now used as a barn and stable. This chapel is mentioned as existing in the time of Henry III. The hamlet is assessed to the county rate at £881; population in 1861 was 91; in 1871, 105, with 16 inhabited houses. Kersoe is a small hamlet; the population is returned with Elmley.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1612
Parishes adjacent to Elmley Castle
- Great Comberton
- Ashton under Hill
- Little Comberton
- Hinton on the Green
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELMLEY-CASTLE, a village and a parish in Pershore district, Worcester. The village stands near the boundary with Gloucester, under Bredon hill, 4 miles E of Eckington r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Evesham; has a post office, of the name of Elmley, under Pershore; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 2,057 acres. Real property, £2,922. Pop., 373. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. Elmsley Park is the seat of the Davieses. A castle stood within the parish on Bredon hill, and belonged to the D’Abitots, the Beauchamps, the Savages, and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £112. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church contains some old monuments, and is good. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Elmley-Castle – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles W.S.W. from Evesham, and 99 from London; on the declivity of Breedon hill; containing 66 inhabited houses. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. Hugh Bennett, incumbent; instituted 1800; patron, Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 296 – 1811, 300 – 1821, 316.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury