Elmley Castle is a village and parish, 4 miles from Evesham, 3 from Pershore, and about 9 from Tewkesbury, containing 2057 statue acres, and a population in 1851 of 385 inhabitants.
A strong castle was erected on one of the Bredon Hills in the time of William the Conqueror, but it was destroyed during the reign of Henry III. Guy Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, founded in it a college or chantry for eight priests, in honour of the Blessed Virgin. Traces of the castle are still found. Elmley Park, the residence of J. H. Hill, Esq., is a splendid mansion, with extensive grounds, pleasantly situated on the east side of Bredon Hill. Henry III granted a weekly market and fair, but they have long since fallen into disuse. There is a small stone cross standing in the village.
Kersoe is a small hamlet, consisting of only a few farms; the population is returned with Elmley.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very handsome stone building. There are several well-executed monuments in various parts of the church, which is altogether and interesting edifice. The living is a Discharged Vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. W. Bennett, Vicar; Revs. John and William Parker Curates; Mr. Thomas Hicks, Clerk. Service – 10 45 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The National School is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Anne Willmott, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30.
Hill J. H., Esq., Elmley Park
Parker Rev. John
Blackford Thomas, miller, baker, maltster, and beer retailer
Blizward Mary, beer retailer
Bluck Henry, farmer
Deakins Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Faulkner John, boot and shoe maker
Grove George, tailor
Haines Charles, butcher
Hawkes Joseph, farmer
Hicks Thomas, Parish Clerk
Hodgetts James, wheelwright
Hodgetts John, carpenter
Hollington Susannah, blacksmith
Mitton William, farmer
Moore Henry, farmer
Phillips Benjamin, boot and shoe maker
Rance Henry, grocer and brick maker; and at Cropthorne
Smith John, farmer, Wordin Farm
Summers Albert, boot and shoe maker
Summers Emanuel, carpenter
Summers Hannah, shopkeeper
Willmott Mrs., Sub-Postmistress
Deakins Mrs. Mary, farmer
Haines John, farmer
Hawkes Daniel, farmer
Smith Hubert, tailor
Post Office – Mrs. Willmott, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 9 45 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855