Defford is a small village and Chapelry of St. Andrew’s, Pershore, from which it is distant about 3 miles. The Bristol and Birmingham Railway has a station here. The population in 1851 was 461 inhabitants. The Chapel is a small, antique-looking edifice, with square tower, and three bells. It is dedicated to St. James. Rev. Thomas Whitaker, Curate; Mr. Samuel Undy, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately with Besford.


Bowen Mr. Thomas

Stratton Mr. R. M.

Bright Mary, wheelwright and shopkeeper

Clarke Henry, licensed to let horses

Collins Joseph, beer retailer, shoe maker, and market gardener

Farley Charles, beer retailer, Railway Inn

Genders James, Station Master

Hemus Thomas, farmer, Bourne Farm

Hill Elizabeth, Sub-Postmistress and shopkeeper

Hitchings George, shopkeeper

Hitchings William, butcher and beer retailer

Hunt Thomas, blacksmith

Packwood William, wheelwright

Rammell Benjamin, blacksmith

Read John and James, farmers, Defford Farm

Roper John, blacksmith

Rudge Joseph, shoe maker

Taylor Henry, farmer

Woodward Henry, farmer

Workman Samuel, victualler, Crown

Willis John, farmer

Post Office – Elizabeth Hill, Sub-Postmistress. Delivery, 9 a.m.; despatch, 4 15 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855