Throckmorton Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879

Throckmorton is a chapelry to Fladbury, distant 4 miles N.E. of Pershore, 10 S.E. of Worcester, and about 2 from Pershore railway station on the Great Western railway; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; poor-law union, petty sessional division, polling district, and county court district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £1,773; area of chapelry, 1,560 acres; population in 1861, 152; in 1871, 170, with 38 inhabited houses and 48 families or separate occupiers. The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel and sand; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, &c. Sir Nicholas William George Throckmorton, Bart., of Coughton court, near Redditch, is lord of the manor, and the other principal landowners are Benjamin Workman, Esq., and the Rev. W. P. A. Campbell. The ancient church is at the N. end of the village; it is in the Norman style, and consists of nave and chancel, with a square tower containing four bells. It was restored in 1834, at a cost of £372, raised by subscription. The earliest register is dated 1546. The living is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Feckenham; it is a chapelry annexed to Fladbury rectory; patron, the Bishop of Worcester; rector, Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., Queen’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1877. (For further ecclesiastical particulars, see Fladbury.) The national school for boys and girls was built in 1874.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Pershore, and are despatched thereto at 5.45 p.m. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.

Parish Church. – Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., Rector of Fladbury with Throckmorton, &c.; Rev. John Westcott Stoneman, B.A., Curate; Mr. William James, Churchwarden; Joseph Clark, Parish Clerk.

National School (boys and girls). – Miss Hunt, Mistress.

Carrier to Evesham. – David Malins, every Monday.


Bomford Benjamin, farmer, Court farm and Tilesford farm; res., Pitchill, Salford Priors, near Evesham

Clark Joseph, parish clerk

Hunt Miss, schoolmistress

James George, farm bailiff to B. Bomford, Esq., Tilesford

Malins David, shoemaker and carrier

Rimell William, farmer, Lower farm

Smith Thomas, farm bailiff to B. Bomford, Esq., Court farm

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.