Upton Snodsbury is a small village and parish, situated about 6 miles E. of Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 341.

Upton Snodsbury derives its appellation from its Saxon owner, Snodes; or as it appears, a part of the parish was originally so called; while Upton Stephani and Upton-juxta-Snodsbury were also so called from the circumstance of their being two, or portions of two manors in this parish. The abbots of Westminster and Pershore subsequently had possession here, which in the time of Henry VIII was granted to the Walsh and Sheldon families, and afterwards fell into the hands of the Coventrys and Littletons.

The Church is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, south aisle, and western tower, with diagonal buttresses. The aisle is separated by four obtuse arches. The chancel contains memorial to the Rev. H. Greene and family, dated 1805. He was formerly vicar of this parish, and afterwards rector of Earl’s Croome and vicar of Feckenham. There is also one to the Rev. T. Parkes, a previous vicar of this parish, and a stone slab to Richard Claridge, rector of Peopleton, dated 1676. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Rev. Henry A. Greene, LL.B., who is also the Vicar; Mr. Thomas Edwin, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

Charities – The charities of this parish are few in number, and several have been lost for want of proper attention.


George Mrs.

Abel Edward, shoe maker

Bennett Francis, victualler and maltster, Red Lion

Bullock John, victualler, Coventry Arms

Bullock John, butcher

Bullock Mary, beer retailer, maltster, and shopkeeper, Royal Oak

Bullock Thomas and Allen, farmers, Owl’s End

Edwin Thomas, blacksmith and Parish Clerk

Checketts George, wheelwright

Hughes Benjamin, farmer, The Court; also of Broughton Hackett

Hughes Richard, farmer, Hollyoak Farm

Jones Thomas, cooper

Pearce George, farmer, Cowsden Hall; also of Walcott and the Hyde Farms

Smith John, grazier, Upton House

Smith Samuel, farmer, Cowsden Bank; also of the Church and North Piddle Farms

Tolley Samuel, farmer, Frog Hall

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855