Churchill in Oswaldslow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative Names: Churchill near Spetchley
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1564
The children of this parish attend the national school at Bredicot
Parishes adjacent to Churchill in Oswaldslow
- Broughton Hackett
- Upton Snodsbury
- White Ladies Aston
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Churchill, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 1¼ mile S of Spetchley r. station, and 4 ESE of Worcester. Post town, Spetchley, under Worcester. Acres, 924. Real property, with Bredicott, £1, 570. Pop., 78. Houses, 16. The property is divided among a few. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £167.* Patron, R. Berkeley, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Churchill, 4 miles S.E. Worcester. P. 115
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Churchill – a parish united with Bredicot, in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 4 miles E.S.E. from Worcester, and 108 from London; containing 22 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. G. Dineley, incumbent; instituted 1781; patron, R. Berkley, Esq. Population, 1801, 98 – 1811, 92 – 1821, 102.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Churchill, near Spetchley, is a sweet little village, and bid fair once to have rivalled Tunbridge, from the efficacy of a mineral water which it possesses. Unfortunately for it, however, the vicinity of Tunbridge to the metropolis made it fashionable, whilst the roads were bad; and when they became good, the rising fame of Malvern tended much to eclipse it.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Universal British Directory 1791
Oswaldeshaw, between Worcester and Spetchley, is the capital of a hundred of its own name, and the place where Bishop Oswald used to keep his court, on a rising ground, where the hundred court is still held; and not far from it was St. Oswald’s hospital, built and endowed by him anno 960, and pulled down in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; but on the restoration of King Charles II a neat hospital was erected in its place for twelve poor men.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791.
Churchill in Oswaldslow Parish Register 1564 to 1839
The registers of Churchill in Oswaldslow, in the Deanery of Worcester East
Editor: R. A.Wilson, Witley Rectory
Published 1914 by Privately printed for the Worcestershire Parish Register Society in [Worcester, England].
Family History Links
The following records for Churchill in Oswaldslow are available free from FamilySearch.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury
- Polling District: Broughton Hackett
- County Court District: Worcester
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester