Cropthorne (with the Hamlets of Charlton and Netherton) Billings Directory 1855
Cropthorne, is a village and parish, very pleasantly situated in the Middle Oswaldslow Hundred, and Eastern Division of the county, distant 3 ½ miles S.E. from Pershore, and 3 N.W. from Evesham, with a population in 1851 of 336 inhabitants.
There is nothing particular in this locality requiring comment. Taken as a whole it is a very respectable village, containing several good residence, amongst which we may mention Cropthorne Court, the seat of Francis Holland, Esq., the Vicarage, &c.
Charlton is a hamlet in the parish of Cropthorne, distant from Pershore about 4 miles, containing in 1851 a population of 329 inhabitants.
Netherton is another hamlet in the parish, about 3 ½ miles from Pershore, and 4 from Evesham, containing in 1851 a population of 95 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient building, in the Gothic style of architecture, consisting of nave and chancel, with square tower, containing six bells. In the interior are several monuments of great interest, and which will repay a visit. The living is a Vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. Robert Sanders, Vicar; Mr. John Slatter, Clerk.. Service – 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
There is a Free School in the parish, erected in the year 1740, and liberally endowed by Mrs. Mary Holland, for poor children of Cropthorne, for ever. Mrs. Ann Slatter, Mistress.
Charities – The charities of this parish are not numerous; they are distributed annually, according to the wishes of the donors.
Baker S. W., Esq., Cropthorne House
Holland Francis, Esq., Deputy Lieutenant and Magistrate, Cropthorne Court
Sanders Rev. Robert, Vicar, Vicarage
Andrews Francis, farmer, Smoky Farm
Applebee Morris, farmer
Beach William Henry, farmer, Field Barn Farm
Birch George, farmer, Lower Haselor Farm
Brookes John, blacksmith
Cowley John, shopkeeper
Davis John, farmer; and at Elmbridge Green
Knight Joseph, carpenter
Meakins John S., farmer, Pattey’s Farm
Mills James, beer retailer
Osborn William, market gardener
Preston Richard, shoe maker
Rance Henry, brick maker; and at Elmley Castle
Sanders John, tailor
Saunders Thomas, coal dealer
Slatter John, Parish Clerk
Smith Thomas, boot and shoe maker, and Sub-Postmaster
Smith Wm., farmer, Cropthorne Heath
Stratton Charles F., victualler, New Inn
Birch Peter, farmer, Boston Farm
Brookes Charles, blacksmith
Crane Edward, farmer, Haselor Farm
Deakin George, farmer
Dingley John, wheelwright
Dingley William, farmer
Garmston John, farmer, Upper Haselor
Hyde William, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Smith George, farmer, Fernhill Farm
Somers George, carpenter and wheelwright
Taplin John, boot and shoe maker
Taylor John, farmer; and at Alderton
Workman Joseph, farmer, Ryedon Farm
Blizzard John, shoe maker
Crump Charles, farmer
Jones Benjamin, carpenter
Malins William, farmer
Pearce Joseph, farmer
Post Office, Cropthorne – Thomas Smith, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 40 p.m.
Carriers – To Worcester, W. Davis, Sat., 6 a.m.; Evesham, W. Davis, Mon., 11 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855