Cropthorne with Charlton Littleburys Directory 1879
Cropthorne is a parish and village near the river Avon, 3 miles N.W. of Evesham, 3 ½ S.E. of Pershore, 12 S.E. of Worcester, and 1 mile S. of Fladbury station on the Great Western railway. It is situated on a delightful eminence, and commands fine views; is in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Pershore; polling and highway district of Evesham; annual rateable value, £3,073; area, 1,483 acres; population in 1861, 374; in 1871, 355; inhabited houses, 84; families or separate occupiers, 89. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Francis D. Holland, Esq., N. Cole, Esq., and the Rev. L. H. Rudd. The soil is light and sandy in some places; in others, stiff clay. The subsoil is sand, gravel, and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas, beans, and roots. Market-gardening is carried on in this locality to a considerable extent. The church (St. Michael’s) has a chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, and western tower; chiefly in the Perpendicular style, but the base of the tower is Early Norman. The Dineley monuments are singularly interesting, and there are other curious remains of antiquity in the church. The register begins with the year 1559. The living is a vicarage in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Feckenham; value, £500, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; vicar, the Rev. Robert Sanders, M.A., Magdalene Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1853. A new school was built by subscription in 1862-63, and enlarged in 1874. The old school is now converted into a residence for the master. Mrs. Mary Holland’s endowment of £10 yearly is paid by the trustees to the managers of the school. There are a few small charities belonging to the parish. Cropthorne Court, the residence of F. D. Holland, Esq., J.P., is delightfully situated near the church. The views from the mansion and the vicarage are extremely beautiful. Cropthorne Manor House is at present void. Charlton is a hamlet, distant half a mile N. The population in 1861 was 374, and in 1871, 386, with 80 inhabited houses and 87 families or separate occupiers. The acreage is 1,544; annual rateable value, £2,836. William Carey Faulkner, Esq. (the lord of the manor), Henry Porter, Esq., John Walford Izod, Esq., and J. Cartwright, Esq., are the principal landowners. A new church was opened in this hamlet on July 29th, 1872. It has been very cleverly formed out of an old barn by Mr. Forsyth, of Worcester, and has been fitted up at the expense of Henry Workman, Esq., who formerly resided at Charlton house. At present the building is only licensed, but when the living of Cropthorne becomes vacant the new church will, no doubt, be endowed and separated from the mother church. Charlton House, the property and residence of William Carey Faulkner, Esq., was once the seat of the famous Worcestershire family of Dingley, or Dineley. The male line of the Dineleys terminated with Sir Edward whose daughter Eleanor married Edward Goodere, afterwards knighted; he died in 1739. The mansion was partly destroyed at the close of the last century. Netherton, formerly a hamlet of Cropthorne, is now added to Elmley Castle. It contained in 1871 a population of 105, with 16 inhabited houses, and 20 families or separate occupiers.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 7.45 a.m. The wall letter-box, Cropthorne, is cleared at 5.30 p.m. The wall letter-box, Charlton, is cleared at 5.10 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Fladbury, Evesham, and Pershore are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Pershore.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Robert Sanders, M.A., Vicar; F. D. Holland, Esq., Churchwarden; Charles Price, Parish Clerk.
Charlton Chapel-of-Ease. – , Minister
National School (boys and girls), Cropthorne. – Mr. William Pomeroy, Master; Mrs. Emily Eliza Pomeroy, Mistress. Carrier to Evesham. – David Davis, to Evesham on Mondays, returning from the Red Lion at 3.30 p.m.
Applebee Miss Mary, Cropthorne
Applebee Mr. Morris, Cropthorne
Brookes Mrs. Sydney, Cropthorne
Faulkner Wm. Carey, Esq., Charlton ho.
Holland Francis Dermot, Esq., J.P., Cropthorne court
Sanders Rev. Robert, M.A. (vicar of Cropthorne), The Vicarage
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Ayliffe W., fmr. & landowner, Cropthorne
Baker Wm., farmer, Ridon fm., Charlton
Baldwin Caroline, shopkpr., Cropthorne
Brookes Mrs. Sarah and Bourton William, blacksmiths, Cropthorne
Cole Nehemiah, fmr. and landowner, Cropthorne; res., Sandfields, Sedgeberrow
Corbett John, gardener, Charlton
Cormell Frederick, farmer, Smokey farm
Davis David, shopkeeper, carrier, and market gardener
Day Henry, market gardener, Cropthorne
Dingley John, wheelwright, Charlton
Eaton Samuel, farm bailiff for W. C. Faulkner, Esq., Charlton
Hay Henry, farmer, Cropthorne
Hyde William, baker and shopkeeper, Charlton
Izod John Walford, farmer and landowner, The Hollies, Charlton
Knight Samuel, Bell Inn, and market gardener, Cropthorne
Knight Mrs. Sarah, beer retlr., Charlton
Meakins John Smith, farmer and landowner, Patty’s farm, Cropthorne
Morris Charles, miller, Cropthorne mill
Parker William, farmer, Haselor farm and Yearsall farm, Charlton
Pomeroy William, master of the National school, School house
Preston Richard, farmer, Cropthorne
Price Charles, shoemaker, Cropthorne
Pritchard John, farm bailiff for Mr. John Swift (of Manchester), Charlton
Savory John, cabinet and croquet maker
Smith Charles, farmer, Cropthorne
Smith George, farmer, Fern hill, Charlton
Stephens George, farmer, Cropthorne; res., Fladbury mill
Stratton Charles Frederick, farmer and land measurer, Charlton
Stratton Wm. H., gardener, Cropthorne
Swift J., fmr., Charlton; res., Manchester
Tarplee John, stonemason, Cropthorne
Walker Geo., fmr., Haselor hill, Charlton
Walker Henry Job, New Inn, and market gardener, Cropthorne
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.