Croome D’Abitot is a village and parish 8 miles S.E. of Worcester, 4 N.E. of Upton-on-Severn, and 5 W. of Pershore; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; in the union and petty sessional division of Upton; county court district of Pershore; polling district of Kempsey; annual rateable value, £2, 072; acreage, 1,148; population in 1861, 163; in 1871, 144, with 25 inhabited houses and 27 families or separate occupiers. The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy clay, subsoil, marl; the parish is well drained, and includes large tracts of grass lands, where once were swamps. The other chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, and roots. The living is a rectory (consolidated with that of Pirton) in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Bredon; value, £550, with residence; patron, the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry; rector the Rev. Hugh Bennett, M.A., formerly Fellow of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1878, and resides at Pirton rectory. The church (St. James’s) stands on a beautiful elevated spot in the park, and has a tower containing six bells. It was erected in 1763, and contains several notable monuments to the Coventry family. The register begins with the year 1733. Croome Court, the seat of the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry, is a large handsome stone building, in the midst of a well-wooded park abounding with deer. The park and grounds were laid out by “Capability Brown” at an expense of £400,000.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester; those for High green should be addressed via Kempsey. There is no delivery on Sundays. Severn Stoke is the nearest money-order office. Kempsey and Upton are the nearest telegraph offices. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. James’s). – Rev. Hugh Bennett, M.A., Rector; Mr. Richard E. New, Churchwarden; Henry Clifford, Parish Clerk.
Coventry The Right Hon. the Earl of, J.P., D.L. (captain of the Hon. Corps of Gentlemen-at-arms), Croome court; and Thomas’s hotel, 25 Berkeley sq., London, W., and Carlton Club, S.W.
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bluck Thomas, woodward and bailiff to the Earl of Coventry, Croome timber yard
Child Walter, head gardener to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome crt. gardens
Clifford Henry, parish clerk
Denley William, head gamekeeper to the Earl of Coventry, D.L.
Hadley Walter, stud groom
Hanson George, farm bailiff to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome farm
Hardy Mrs., Coventry Arms Inn
Hill John, steward to the Earl of Coventry; res., Severn Stoke
Hood William, clerk of works to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome timber yard
Jones William, huntsman to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome Kennels
New Richard E., farmer, High Green farm
Price Mrs. Jane, blacksmith
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.