Cleeve Prior Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Cleeve Prior, or Prior’s Cleve, is a small village and parish, 5 miles from Evesham, containing in 1851 a population of 329 inhabitants.

The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence, but the ground around it is flat, and the meadows on the banks of the Avon, which enters the county in this parish, are sometimes flooded. In 1812, in working a quarry here, two earthen jars of Roman coins were found at a depth of three feet from the surface. The one contained gold and the other silver, chiefly of the reigns of Gratian, Valentinian, and Theodosius: they were all in good preservation. Portions of armour and military weapons have from time to time been discovered, tending to the generally received opinion that there was a Roman military station in the neighbourhood.

The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone building, in the early English style of architecture, with square turreted tower and pinnacles. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. Robert D. Stillingfleet, Vicar; Rev. John H. Carden, Curate; Mr. Charles Hemming, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

There is a small School in the village, supported principally by Mrs. Stillingfleet and the children’s payments. Jane Carter, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 35.


Carden Rev. John H., B.A., Curate

Holthom Mts., Manor House

Stillingfleet Rev. Robert D., M.A., Vicar

Callaway George, baker

Callaway William, farmer

Careless John, farmer

Farr Frederick W., maltster and baker

Farr Henry, tailor

Harris Thomas, boot and shoe maker

Holthom William, farmer

Lyne Robert, blacksmith

Mills John, shopkeeper

Rock Elizabeth, farmer

Rock John, farmer

Silvester Henry, victualler and shopkeeper, King’s Arms

Taylor Richard, miller

Taylor Robert, miller

Tomes Thomas B., farmer

Wilson Edward, farmer

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855