Broadwas is a village and parish situate on the left bank of the river Teme, amid rich meadows and uplands, famous for hops and cider and charming views. It is distant 6 miles W. of Worcester, and 3 N.E. of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway; is in the western division of the county, Lower Oswaldslow hundred, Martley union, polling, and highway district, Worcester county court district and petty sessional division. The area of the parish is 1,160 acres; annual rateable value, £2,214; population in 1861, 311; in 1871, 337; inhabited houses, 69; families or separate occupiers, 92. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Francis Edward Williams, Esq., Rev. William Comyns Berkeley, Rev. R. Rodney Fowler, Miss Smith, and E. Bird Guest, Esq. The soil is loan and clay; products, wheat, barley, beans, turnips, Swedes, mangolds, hops, apples, pasture, &c. Broadwas is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester, and rural deanery of West Worcester; living, a rectory, value £290, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; rector, Rev. Robert Rodney Fowler, B.A., of Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1862. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is in mixed styles of architecture, Transitional from Norman, Early English, and Decorated. It has a chancel, nave with southern chapel, and western tower, which is surmounted by a wooden bell-gable. Interesting mural paintings were discovered here a few years ago. The earliest register is dated 1676. The school, with residence for the mistress, was erected within the last few years by subscription. It is under Government inspection. There are a few charities which have been the subject of former controversy. Broadwas Court is the residence of Edward Henry Hill, Esq., and The Cedars that of Edward Bird Guest, Esq.

Postal Regulations. – William Henry Wormington, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester about 7 a.m.; despatched thereto at 7.10 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.

Parish Church (St. Mary Magdalene). – Rev. Robert Rodney Fowler, B.A., Rector; E Henry Hill, Esq., and Mr. Thomas C. Nicholls, Churchwardens; William Griffiths, Parish Clerk.

National School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Shepherd, Mistress

Registrar of Births and Deaths. – Mr. John Bowkett.

Carriers to Worcester. – John Turner and Thomas Collins, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning the same days.


Arden Mrs., The Princes

Drew Mr. William, Brook house

Fowler Rev. Robert Rodney, B.A. (rector), The Rectory

Guest Edward Bird, Esq., The Cedars

Hill Edwd. Henry, Esq., Broadwas court

Randall Mrs., Brook cottage

Smith Miss, The Firs


Berkeley Rowland, Esq., farmer, Butt’s Bank farm

Betteridge William, farmer, The Hill

Bowkett John, boot and shoe maker, and registrar of births and deaths

Cone James, Royal Oak Inn

Crump Edward, carpenter and joiner

Crump Samuel, cot. farmer, Broad green

Drew William, farmer and shopkeeper

Ganderton John, farmer, Stone farm

Griffiths William, tailor and parish clerk

Harwood Thomas, blacksmith

Haynes William, cot. farmer, Broad green

Lane John, farmer, The Forest

Nicholls Thos. Charles, farmer, Ivy ho.

Philpott James, blacksmith & cot. farmer

Shepherd Mrs., schoolmistress

Spencer William, farmer and butcher

Turner John, carrier

Went Edward, farmer, Butt’s farm and Noxon’s farm

Wormington William Henry, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.