Crowle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Crowle parish also includes: Sale Green
Parish Church: St. John The Baptist
The earliest register is dated 1539.
Nonconformists: Wesleyan Methodist
The national school for Crowle and Huddington was erected in 1864.
Parishes adjacent to Crowle
- Broughton Hackett
- Upton Snodsbury
Crowle Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Crowle – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 5 miles E. of Worcester, and 109 from London; containing 69 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. G. Egremont, incumbent; instituted 1798; patroness, Mrs. Egremont. Population, 1801, 346 – 1811, 385 – 1821, 461.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Crowle Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Crowle lies about six miles southeast of Droitwich. It is a pleasant village, but not much frequented, being out of the general line of high roads: we mention it particularly, as there is an anecdote respecting it, which may give some insight into the manners of the priesthood and convent of Worcester; and a short time before the dissolution, some reasons having induced that body to tempt William More, their then prior, to resign, they gave him in lieu this town of Crowle, with the plate, linen, and furniture; at the same time they permitted him still to retain apartments at the priory, gave him the keep of two geldings, sufficient fuel at both places, a monk to wait on him and say mass, and fifty pounds per annum. They gave him also the immediate sum of 1000 marks, and paid his debts amounting to 100l.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Description of Crowle – Universal British Directory 1791
Crowle, five miles east from Worcester; the church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In a field adjoining Oddington was discovered, near two centuries ago, a coffin lined with lead, containing the bones of a man, with an urn at the head of it, supposed to have been the remains of a Danish warrior, Simund the Dane, who had fallen in battle; traces of fortifications are distinguishable here, which confirms the spot to have been a place of an engagement formerly.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Family History Links
FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization, and Military records – Free
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Droitwich
- Polling District: Broughton Hackett
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester