Last Updated on
Birtsmorton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Birts Morton
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Birtsmorton
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Birtsmorton, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 5½ miles south-west of Upton-upon-Severn. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 8s. 1½d.; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. S. Thackwell. Here is a charity school, endowed, in 1703, by the Rev. Samuel Juice; and farther endowed, some years since, with the interest of £300, bequeathed by Lady Judith Coote. Birtsmorton was long the property of a very ancient family, of Cornish origin, the Nanfaus. The manor-house, moated round, is of great antiquity, the rooms are all wainscotted and carved with armorial bearings. In the church are many curious monuments. Pop., in 1801, 238; in 1831, 311 Houses 52. Acres 1,410. A. P. £1,537. Poor rates, in 1837, £118.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Birts-Morton, 4 miles S.W. Upton-upon-Severn. P. 313
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Birts-Morton, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county of Worcester, 5¼ miles (S.W.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 236 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £7. 8. 1½. J. Thackwell, Esq. was patron in 1800. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. A charity school was endowed by Samuel Juice, in 1703, for the instruction of boys, a few of whom are clothed by means of a separate fund. The manor-house is an ancient edifice, surrounded by a moat still very perfect.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Birts-Morton – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 4 miles S.W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 108 from London, containing 41 inhabited houses. The manor-house, which is moated round, is very ancient, and the rooms are wainscoted and carved with armorial bearings. The Earl of Bellamont was buried here in 1766: in the church-yard is a raised monument to perpetuate his memory. The living is a rectory; Rev. S. Thackwell, incumbent; instituted 1800; patron, J. Thackwell, Esq. Population, 1801, 238 – 1811, 235 – 1821, 236.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages at Birtsmorton 1539 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury